This recipe requires the use of the Ball®freshTECH Automatic Jam & Jelly Maker. Makes about 4 half pint (8 oz) jars of jam. Note that this recipe will only perform as expected when using the Ball®freshTECH Automatic Home Canning System.
A. Pre-Heat Your Empty Jars
1. REMOVE Inner Pot from Appliance. Remove Rack; set aside. Fill Inner Pot with warm tap water to fill line. Return Inner Pot to Appliance. Place Rack back into Inner Pot. Place empty jars onto Rack in Inner Pot. Set preserving lids and bands aside in your work space. Close and lock Appliance Lid.
2. PRESS Pre-Heat button, then press Start. The red Pre-Heating light will illuminate, and the Appliance will begin pre-heating your jars. In the meantime, you can start making your jam. Jars will be pre-heated when the green Ready light is flashing. Keep jars in Appliance, with Lid closed and locked, until ready to fill with jam.
B. Prepare Your Recipe
1. ASSEMBLE Jam & Jelly Maker according to instructions in theRecipe Book | Quick Start Guide.
2. WASH strawberries in cool, running water and drain. Remove stems and hulls. Crush berries one layer at a time using a potato masher. Measure required quantity of crushed berries and remaining ingredients for your recipe; set aside.
3. SPRINKLE pectin evenly over bottom of the Pot fitted with the Stirrer. Add crushed strawberries and lemon zest evenly over pectin. Add butter/margarine to help reduce foaming.
4. PRESS jam button – the cook time will automatically default to 21 minutes. Press enter.
5. WAIT 4 minutes for appliance to sound 4 short beeps indicating that it is time to add sugar. Add sugar gradually while Stirrer continues running. Place the Glass Lid on the Pot.
6. THE APPLIANCE will continue to automatically stir your ingredients while it cooks. Stay within earshot of the Jam & Jelly Maker, the appliance will beep again at the end of the process signaling jam cooking is complete. Press cancel, unplug the appliance and immediately remove Glass Lid.
7. REMOVE Stirrer using a pot holder. Skim foam, if necessary, from top of jam.
C. Preserve Your Jam
1. UNLOCK and open Appliance Lid.
2. REMOVE one hot jar. Close lid, but do not lock, to keep remaining jars hot. Ladle hot jam into hot jar, leaving 1/4-inch headspace. Wipe any jam from the rim of the jar. Center new lid on jar. Twist on band until fingertip tight. Return filled jar onto Rack in Inner Pot.
3. REPEAT step 2 until all jars are filled with jam and returned to Inner Pot. Close and lock Lid.
4. PRESS Jams & Jellies then press Recipe 1. Press Start to begin preserving.
5. THE APPLIANCE will start sensing your recipe, indicated by the orange Sensing light. Then, the preserving phase will begin, indicated by the orange Preserving light. When your appliance beeps and the green Ready light is flashing, your jam has been successfully preserved! Press Stop. Unlock and open Lid.
6. REMOVE jars from Inner Pot using jar lifter and place upright on a towel. Allow to cool, undisturbed, for 12 to 24 hours. Refer to the After Canning section on page 21 to learn how to check lids for seals and store your jars.