Makes about 4 pints (16 oz.) of sauce. Note that this recipe will only perform as expected when using the Ball®freshTECH Automatic Home Canning System.
A. Make Your Sauce
1. COMBINE tomatoes, onions, garlic, hot pepper flakes, and celery seeds in a large stainless steel saucepan. Bring to a boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Reduce heat, cover and boil gently until vegetables soften, about 30 minutes.
2. TRANSFER mixture to a sieve placed over a glass or stainless steel bowl and, working in batches, press with the back of a spoon to extract all the liquid and pulp (you can also do this in a food mill). Discard solids.
3. RETURN liquid and pulp to saucepan. Add brown sugar, vinegar, lemon juice, salt, mace, mustard, ginger and cinnamon. Return to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring occasionally. Reduceheat and boil gently, stirring frequently, until mixture is thickened to the consistency of a thin commercial barbecue sauce, about 30 minutes.
TIP: To peel tomatoes, make an “X” on the bottom of tomatoes using a knife. Plunge in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds, or until skins start to crack. Dip into cold water and slip off skins.
B. Pre-Heat Your Empty Jars
1. REMOVE Inner Pot from Appliance. Remove Rack; set aside. Fill Inner Pot with warm tap water to fill line. Return Inner Pot to Appliance. Place Rack back into Inner Pot. Place empty jars onto Rack in Inner Pot. Set preserving lids and bands aside in your work space. Close and lock Appliance Lid.
2. PRESS Pre-Heat button, then press Start. The red Pre-Heating light will illuminate, and the Appliance will begin pre-heating your jars. Jars will be pre-heated when the green Ready light is flashing. Keep jars in Appliance, with Lid closed and locked, until ready to fill with sauce.
C. Preserve Your Jars
1. UNLOCK and open Appliance Lid.
2. REMOVE one hot jar. Close lid, but do not lock, to keep remaining jars hot. Ladle hot sauce into hot jar, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Remove air bubbles. Wipe any sauce from the rim of the jar. Center new lid on jar. Twist on band until fingertip tight. Return filled jar onto Rack in Inner Pot.
3. REPEAT step 2 until all jars are filled with sauce and returned to Inner Pot. Close and lock Lid.
4. PRESS Sauces then press Recipe 1. Press Start to begin preserving.
5. THE APPLIANCE will start sensing your recipe, indicated by the orange Sensing light. Then, the preserving phase will begin, indicated by the orange Preserving light. When your appliance beeps and the green Ready light is flashing, your sauce has been successfully preserved! Press Stop. Unlock and open Lid.
6. REMOVE jars from Inner Pot and place upright on a towel. Allow to cool, undisturbed, for 12 to 24 hours. Refer to the After Canning section on page 21 to learn how to check lids for seals and store your jars.