Makes about 4 pints (16 oz.) of tomatoes. Note that this recipe will only perform as expected when using the Ball®freshTECH Automatic Home Canning System.
A. Prepare Your Tomatoes
1. COMBINE basil, thyme, oregano, rosemary, sage, garlic powder and hot pepper flakes in a small bowl. Set aside.
2. WASH tomatoes; drain. Working in small batches, immerse tomatoes in boiling water for 30 to 60 seconds or until skins start to loosen or crack. Immediately plunge into a bowl of cold water and slip skins off. In the meantime, pre-heat your jars.
3. REMOVE cores and any bruised or discolored portions that become apparent after blanching. Leave tomatoes whole, halve or quarter.
4. PLACE tomatoes in a large stainless steel saucepan. Add water to cover. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring gently. Reduce heat and boil gently for 5 minutes.
B. Pre-Heat Your Empty Jars
1. REMOVE Inner Pot from Appliance. Remove Rack; set aside. Fill Inner Pot with warm tap water to fill line. Return Inner Pot to Appliance. Place Rack back into Inner Pot. Place empty jars onto Rack in Inner Pot. Set preserving lids and bands aside in your work space. Close and lock Appliance Lid.
2. PRESS Pre-Heat button, then press Start. The red Pre-Heating light will illuminate, and the Appliance will begin pre-heating your jars. Jars will be pre-heated when the green Ready light is flashing. Keep jars in Appliance, with Lid closed and locked, until ready to fill with tomatoes.
C. Preserve Your Jars
1. UNLOCK and open Appliance Lid.
2. REMOVE one hot jar. Close lid, but do not lock, to keep remaining jars hot. Add 1/4 tsp Citric Acid per pint. Or, add 1 tbsp bottled lemon juice per pint. Add 2-1/4 tsp of spice blend and 1/2 tsp salt, if using. Pack hot tomatoes into jar, leaving 1/2-inch headspace. Ladle hot cooking liquid into jar to cover tomatoes. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding cooking liquid. Wipe rim of the jar. Center new lid on jar. Twist on band until fingertip tight. Return filled jar onto Rack in Inner Pot.
3. REPEAT step 2 until all jars are filled with tomatoes and returned to Inner Pot. Close and lock Lid.
4. PRESS Tomatoes then press Recipe 1.Press Start to begin preserving.
5. THE APPLIANCE will start sensing your recipe, indicated by the orange Sensing light. Then, the preserving phase will begin, indicated by the orange Preserving light. When your appliance beeps and the green Ready light is flashing, your tomatoes have been successfully preserved! Press Stop. Unlock and open Lid.
6. REMOVE jars from Inner Pot using jar lifter and place upright on a towel. Allow to cool, undisturbed, for 12 to 24 hours. Refer to the After Canning section on page 21 to learn how to check lids for seals and store your jars.